Sunday, August 14, 2011

Hiking Rock Canyon

I guess it's been a while since we have hiked Rock Canyon because I can't find any other posts on this blog about it. Which is surprising because it is one of my favorite hikes. I love the fantastic rock formations and cliffs. Maybe I felt discouraged the last time we went because we only made it to the green gate (which is barely into the canyon) before Brandon and I succumbed to the whining and crying and turned around.



This time I think we may have made it a mile in--possibly a mile and a half--thanks to the cousins and Aunt Kristi and Uncle JP who came along. Having friends to talk and play with took the boys' minds off of the fact that they were actually exerting their bodies.















In fact, they were having such a great time that they didn't even want to turn around to head home. The setting of the sun was the only reason we did. Maybe someday we will make it the entire six miles to the end of the trail (it ends at a campground). A future backpacking trip perhaps?















I always feel peaceful awe and amazement in Rock Canyon. These pictures don't do it justice. Sometimes it's a pretty neat experience to feel so small.

2 comments:

Beverly L. Royer said...

Glad you had a good time. Fun to see pictures of you all. I should go to these places that are so close.

Anonymous said...

Atomic bombs taste good.
Onion ring